overview of hypnosis
I'm certainly happy to talk about hypnosis, therapeutic and playful...
There are a lot of shonky types out there... this won't protect you from them. It is the big picture of the different branches of hypnosis - the science/therapeutic, the show biz, the spiritual, covert/conversational and recreational.
The showbiz and the recreational branches explore the boundaries of the power of mind body on sensual and identity perceptions more than other branches. While the therapeutic and spiritual branches explore the power on hypnosis in our lives and destiny. And finally covert/conversational are less like to effect sensual perceptions like showbiz and recreational branches but can certainly effect destiny and life. There is a debate between the one branch, conversational/covert, that doesn't involve an obvious change of state and the other branches that use a ritual to change the body mind state.
SO WHAT IS HYPNOSIS? It is a body of techniques that help you focus your attention using psychology and linguistic principles and relationship dynamics to activate the imagination to influence your body and your perceptions, including emotions and the senses, and therefore the autonomic state of your mind body.
Basically in the 250 years we in the West have been learning about hypnosis (it's been around much longer in other cultures) and developing our culturally unique expression of it. There are other expressions in other cultures some like that of India have had a direct influence on the Western style.
Summary of the 5 branches of Western Hypnosis.
- Scientific/therapeutic - Science has been studying hypnosis for the its whole history. At first science's early radical materialism meant that it was pure imagination, a subjective experience to be ignored and not trusted. this was the opinion of Ben Franklin and a committee of French intellectuals in the 1780's. As we've gotten more sophisticated and subtle about measuring psychological and neurological realities medicine and science have develop better working theories and applications (though no really able to say what it is). So hypnosis can be reliably applied for a whole variety of mental, emotional and physiological discomforts. The science is improve all the time. Placebo is poohooed in medicine but in a rational system we would start with placebo then move to drugs then surgery. Hypnosis can be thought of as ethical honest use of placebo because it's the use of belief, expectational imagination and focus to effect the body mind system as a whole. The Ancients, as in Shamans, understood that they could use placebo (through ritual) to enhance the healing power of whatever drug was providing the chemical assistance. This is where hypnosis can marry with mainstream medicine.
- Show biz - It has been used in show biz from the beginning maybe before sometime with justification and legitimation in their sales pitch to audiences that come from other branches like science and spirituality.
- Spiritual - Altered states of mind body are part of many spiritual traditions - meditation, mindfulness, ritual, 'energy' (such as reiki) and drugs all partly involve principles of hypnosis often without it being mentioned. there are lots of yoga tricks and even the appearance of miracles can come from using and misusing hypnosis like techniques.
- Covert/Conversational - NLP and other techniques help with influential communication - politics, sales, advertising, and in medicine. eg in the emergency room what you say can effect recover can deal with shock easily and quickly drug free, without overt trance. here's a book on verbal first aid - https://www.amazon.com/Worst-Over-Counts-Verbal-Relieve-Promote/dp/B007PTBQM0 there less scrupulous types who use it in sales and in the spiritual sales process and for getting a date in pick up it part of rhetoric which goes back 2500 years.
- Recreational - Is exploring hypnosis for fun, sexual and sensual enhancement and to expand your understanding and experience of the power of your mind body when they work together.
There 4 types of people that can't be overtly hypnotized -
* children under 6,
* people with non-standard mental functioning,
* people under certain drugs,
* and those WHO DON'T WANT TO BE
This doesn't mean that the influential techniques of covert or conversational approach won't effect you. This is a conversation we can have ;-)